Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH is a German family equity company which has been headquartered in Duisburg-Ruhrort since it was founded in 1756. It is from there that the Holding Company, which is wholly owned by the family, manages a diversified portfolio in line with a long-term investment strategy as a value developer.
Haniel's portfolio currently includes four business divisions which are independently responsible for their own operating business and which hold a leading market position in their respective sectors: BekaertDeslee, CWS-boco and ELG (wholly owned), TAKKT (majority owned). In addition there is the METRO GROUP financial investment.
Challenge IT: New IT strategy and IT organization to fulfill the needs of an hybrid IT organization, which delivers services for the holding company and also IT Group Services on a SLA basis. Own Architecture approach and new roles in IT.
Raise awareness for the digital transformation topic within the business units. Development of a special concept for supporting the Business Units which suits the decentralized portfolio approach of Haniel.
Dirk Müller has been the CIO of the Holding company Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH since 2011. Focus of his work is the strategic direction and organizational positioning of IT in terms of its internal and external customers. He tries to balance his management approach between compliance alignment and pragmatic and agile service delivery.
In 2015 he shifted efforts towards the Digital Transformation area. Since April 2016 Dirk has been leading the Haniel Digital Workbench Unit Schacht One GmbH which has been established in order to support the Haniel Business Units on their way of transformation.
Previously he had worked several years in senior IT management positions within Haniel, where he was responsible for Outsourcing and SAP rollout projects.
Before joining Haniel he had worked as a consultant in the area of business intelligence in national and international projects.
Career summary of Dirk Müller
- 2016 - Present: CEO of the Haniel Digital Workbench
- 2016 - Present: CEO of Schacht One GmbH – the Haniel Digital Workbench
- 2011 – Present: Head of IT at Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH
- 2004 – 2011: Head of Application Platforms / Program Management of Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH
- 2001 – 2004: Senior Consultant Business Intelligence of SerCon
- 1998 – 2001: Inhouse Consultant Business Intelligence of Readymix AG
- Diplom in Informatik (IT) at Universität Dortmund
- Finalist Best in Cloud 2012
- Finalist European CIO of the Year 2015