Michael Foster is the Senior Vice-President and Chief Information and Technology Officer at CN. He was appointed in March 2018 and is responsible for the strategy and development of CN’s information systems and operational technology platforms. In addition, he leads the digital transformation and innovation teams at CN.
Supporting CN’s strategic vision by delivering the right tools at the right time, Michael and his team leverage data to drive higher safety levels, improve customer service and accelerate operational efficiency. CN’s IT programs and projects are built around software driven scalable Enterprise Architecture models that ensure agility and streamline internal operations and help optimize their strategic benefits when delivered to the Business. Ensuring the safety of CN crews, customer goods and the communities CN serves, while increasing velocity is Michael’s number one goal.
Before joining CN, Michael was Senior Vice-President IT and Chief Information Officer at FedEx Freight. Prior to that, he served for 21 years at FedEx Express in the Europe Middle East & Africa Region, as the Regional CIO for the EMEA Region as well as the SVP IT and International CIO for the EMEA and Asia Pacific Regions.
In 2015, Computerworld recognized Michael as one of their Premier 100 Honorees and one of his initiatives was recognized by InformationWeek as one of the “20 Ideas to Steal in 2015”. In 2017, IDG Enterprise recognized one of his initiatives with a Digital Edge 50 Award.
Michael has a Bachelors’ Degree in International Business from Richmond College in the UK.
At CN, we take pride in being regarded internationally as one of the best-performing transportation and logistics companies. Our commitment is to create value for both customers and shareholders by deepening customer engagement, leveraging the strength of our franchise and delivering Operational and Service Excellence.
While it is primarily used in every step of moving a train, technology is equally critical for all support functions across the company. This is why CN invests around $140 million each year in Information & Technology capital projects to improve the efficiency and reliability of its operations. In addition, CN is investing billions in technology.
Using a wide variety of technologies, we build efficiency into every train we assemble, enabling our employees to work smarter and, ultimately, deliver more to our customers. We have some of the best business solutions and continue to lead the industry in the use of technology to manage our network.
At CN, technology is not only embedded in everything we do.
It’s what enables us to move trains safely and create value for our customers.
- March 2018 – present: Senior Vice-President and Chief Information and Technology Officer. Responsible for the strategy and development of CN’s information systems and operational technology platforms.
- 2010 – 2018: CIO and VP at FedEx Express EMEA, FedEx Express in Brussels
- 2008 – 2010 Managing Director EMEA of FedEx, Brussels
- 2003 – 2008: IT Strategic Planning Manager of FedEx, Brussels
- 2000 – 2002: General Manager Middle East and Singapore of FedEx Supply Chain Services
- 1996 – 2000: Regional Manager of FedEx
- 1992 – 1996: Regional Manager of Rezayat Trading Company Ltd.
- 1990 – 1992: Financial Analyst of GMT Capital
- 1989: Market Analyst of Rohm and Haas
- 1985 – 1989: BA, International Business from Richmond - The American University in London
- In 2015, Computerworld recognized Mr. Foster as one of their Premier 100 Honorees and one of his initiatives was recognized by InformationWeek as one of the “20 Ideas to Steal in 2015”. In 2017, IDG Enterprise recognized one of his initiatives with a Digital Edge 50 Award.
- 2013 CIO 100 winner