EVP and CIO
Lufthansa ranks among the top ten airlines in the world in terms of size and is the second largest European airline. From its Frankfurt and Munich hubs, Lufthansa flies to 202 destinations in 78 countries. Besides its passenger business, the aviation group comprises devisions for cargo, aircraft maintenance, IT and catering.
Dr. Roland Schuetz has been Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the Lufthansa Group since February 2017. In this role, he is in charge of information technology of the entire enterprise and driving the digital transformation of the Lufthansa Group. The aim is to provide customers with state-of-the-art digital interfaces, mobile applications and convenient booking and handling processes across all airline brands and other business segments within the Group.
Schuetz (48) has more than 20 years of IT experience and has been working for the Lufthansa Group since 2005. He has a PhD in Physics and was initially Chief Operating Officer Infrastructure Services at Lufthansa Systems, an IT subsidiary of the Lufthansa Group. In 2010, he took over the responsibility for the IT area of the freight subsidiary Lufthansa Cargo, before he was appointed CIO of the largest business segment Lufthansa Passenger Airlines in 2014 and became CIO of all Lufthansa Group airlines in 2016. Prior to that, he has worked in the finance industry for over ten years and held various leadership positions in IT services organizations.
- January 2016 – Present: EVP and CIO Lufthansa Group Airlines and Digital Initiatives at Lufthansa Group
- June 2014 – December 2015: CIO of Lufthansa,SVP Information Management & CIO Lufthansa Passage
- November 2005 – October 2010: COO of Lufthansa,
- March 1996 – October 2005: Head of System Technology at Fiducia IT AG
- 1993 – 1996: University of Karlsruhe (TH): Dr. rer. nat., Physics
- 1987 – 1993: University of Karlsruhe (TH): Dipl. Phys.
- 1978– 1987: Kepler Gymnasium, Freiburg, Abitur
Press Articles about Roland Schütz: