Morocco, located in the Maghreb region of North Africa, is bordered by the Mediterranean Sea to the north and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. It is home to around 37 million people, and while Rabat is the capital, Casablanca is the country’s largest city – both of which we will visit during CIOmove 2024.
Morocco offers a variety of landscapes, including beaches and desert areas, as well as historical cities. It serves as a tourist attraction and presents both old traditions and modern influences. In 2022, Morocco welcomed around 11 million visitors. Other relevant information includes:
- Languages: Arabic and Tamazight are official languages, with English also widely understood.
- Currency: The Moroccan Dirham is the official currency. The exchange rate as of December 18, 2023, is 1 Euro = 11.08 Moroccan Dirham. Credit and debit cards are commonly accepted, especially in urban and tourist areas.
- Driving: In Morocco, vehicles drive on the right side of the road. Road signs are similar to those in Europe.
- Time Zone: Morocco operates on UTC+1, aligning with the current time in Germany.
- Emergency Services: Contact numbers are Police: 190, Ambulance: 150, Fire Department: 150.
If you have a tablet device, please bring it with you – a larger screen is easier on the eyes when working with our PEER FINDER tool. Please also always carry a passport or identity card with you. We may need it in various areas. Furthermore, we recommend installing the Careem app, as it is often used by residents for various matters such as transportation, ordering food and other delivery services.
As most of you know from previous years, casual smart is the best way to dress for CIOmove. All dinners will be informal, so no big attire, please! Spouses should wear comfortable shoes, since we will be walking a lot.
Regarding the temperature: The days in May are usually hot and the evenings mild, so you should pack light and cool clothing. The average daily maximum temperature is 26 °C and the average minimum temperature is 16 °C.
Good to Know
Lastly, some general information to help you prepare for CIOmove 2024:
- Name Tags: You will receive a name tag together with your welcome package. We kindly ask that you wear it every day, as we are going to be in some locations that will require them.
- Expenses: All costs for pre-booked shuttles or taxis, lodging, meals, WiFi, official conferences, bus tickets, social program from May 9 after check-in until May 12 until check-out are covered by CIOmove, unless not applicable due to compliance issues. Individual expenses at restaurants, bars, hotel minibar, individually booked taxis (including to or from the airport), pay TV, etc. must be covered privately.
- Photos & Videos: Please note that pictures taken by our photographer and cameraman during the trip may be used in reporting and promoting the event.