Vedanta Resources Plc
Chief Digital Officer
Amitabh is a senior technology executive with an exceptional passion for generating high-impact business outcomes.
“I effectively couple the capabilities of technology to customer needs, and build high-performance teams to get the job done. How do I do it? High-energy, inspiring, collaborative leader; possibility thinker; good listener; active promoter of teamwork, and constant learner.
Fortunately, my teams have always delivered during my 20+ years in engineering, technology, business transformation, project management, strategic planning, delivery management, customer management, operations and leadership. My teams pivot when needed, push through, push forward and finish strong. Always.
I'm currently a Chief Digital Officer at Vedanta Limited (market cap: US$45 Billion), where we're bringing about benefits worth US$100 Million at three of Vedanta’s businesses with a turnover of US$4 Billion.
Earlier, I was the India CIO of GE Aviation, the world’s leading aircraft engine supplier. My team's expertise in product development and business transformation drove strong top-line impact for the services business at GE Aviation, to the tune of US$50 Million.
Prior to joining GE, I worked at SAP AG in San Francisco, primarily in technology, product development and support, and account management. Earlier, I worked as a hardware engineer for Intel Corp. in Silicon Valley, helping design some of the most advanced microprocessors of the day.
I obtained my master's degree in computer science from Texas A&M University and executive education from MIT’s Sloan School of Management. I've served as Chief Ambassador at Toastmasters International, and am a Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM). Luckily, I've been featured on TV (San Francisco), in print (Economic Times, CIO Review, Enterprise IT World) and as a speaker at trade conferences (Nasscom India IoT, India CIO200, Enterprise IT World SME, GE Digital EVN, etc.).”
Vedanta Plc operates on the belief that its people are its core assets. The company consistently endeavours towards developing their potential to be their future leaders and key employees. The company currently operate in India, Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Ireland and Australia through various subsidiaries. It seeks to attract talent especially in mining, metallurgy, geology, smelting and sustainability for worldwide operations.
“Empowerment of the community requires a synergic satisfaction of human needs and our view is that a shared destiny approach will benefit the community and boost economic prosperity. With a business model of growth, constant value creation and improved operations, the company's vision is focused towards sustainably satisfying the needs of all our stakeholders by engaging the community we operate in. We have adopted a positive attitude to make our Sustainable Development initiatives successful for all.”
Vedanta has completed 10 years as a London Stock Exchange listed company. In this decade Vedanta's revenue has grown from $1289.5 million to $10.7 billion.
- July 2017-present: Chief Digital Officer at Vedanta Resources Plc, United Kingdom
- April 2014-June 2017: CIO of GE Aviation, India
- September 1998-March 2014: Director, Customer Care at SAP, USA
- October 1996-September 1998: Hardware Engineer at Intel Corporation, USA
- 1994-1996: Computer Science at Texas A&M University, Master of Science
- 2012-2013: Executive Management Program at MIT Sloan School of Management
- Vedanta Chairman’s “premier leadership award” – Sept. 2017 -- for deploying AI-based solution for connecting employees worldwide to Vedanta Board, for idea/suggestion sharing
- One of India’s top Change Agent CIOs – April 2017 (Enterprise IT World magazine)
- India’s ‘CIO 100’ List – May 2017 (CIO Review magazine)
- Top 5% Performer at General Electric (Aviation), 2014, 2015, 2016
- Stock Appreciation Rights as Outstanding Contributor, SAP AG – 2002 through 2013
- Customer Focus Award at Intel Corp. – 1998