Dr Alexey V. Khorunzhiy
Chairman of the IT Committee
Moscow Exchange provides exhaustive and convenient access to the Russian financial markets. The Exchange’s markets offer clients trading opportunities across a diversified range of asset classes all combined with best-in-class post-trade services. Today, Moscow Exchange is the main liquidity and price discovery centre for Russian instruments.
Moscow Exchange hosts trading in equities, bonds, derivatives, currencies, money market instruments and commodities. The Group also includes Russia’s central securities depository ‘the National Settlement Depository’ and the National Clearing Centre, which performs the function of central counterparty.
Moscow Exchange ranks among the world’s top 20 exchanges by total capitalisation of shares traded, and also among the 10 largest exchange platforms for bonds and derivatives trading. Securities of over 700 issuers are admitted to trading on the equity and bond markets of Moscow Exchange.
The Exchange is also a leader in driving modernisation of Russia’s financial markets infrastructure and promoting Moscow as an international financial centre. Over the past two years, long awaited infrastructure reforms were implemented: the central securities depository and central counterparty were qualified by the Bank of Russia and started to operate at full strength; international central securities depositories began servicing equity and bond markets clients and the equity market was transferred to the T+2 settlement cycle with partial prefunding. All these changes have made trading on Moscow Exchange as convenient as on the world’s leading marketplaces and has resulted in growth of trading volumes.
Moscow Exchange has implemented reforms that simplify the listing process and brought it fully in line with international standards. Just as important, the new listing rules have strengthened corporate governance requirements for listed companies.
Moscow Exchange’s RTS and MICEX indices are the major benchmarks for the Russian stock market and are widely used by portfolio managers to develop investment strategies. The Exchange is continually working to expand its range of indices and improve product support and refine the rules governing market data usage for all types of clients.
Moscow Exchange went public in February 2013 and is traded on its own trading platform under the ticker ‘MOEX.’
- 2018 - present: Chairman of the IT Committee of Moscow Exchange
- 2014 - 2018: CIO, Otkritie Broker
- 2012 - 2014: Member of The Moscow Exchange Council
- 2005 - Present: Chairman of the IT Commitee of the Moscow Exchange
- 2007 - 2014: Deputy director, “ALOR +” LLC
- 2003 - 2014: CIO, ALOR group of companies
- 1998 - 2007: CEO, “ALOR Invest” CJSC
- 1997 - 1998: Producer at a TV-company VKT in Moscow
Academic Career and Education
- 1992 - Present: Member of the Organizing Committee and one of the session moderators of the Annual Konstantin Tsiolkovsky’s Scientific Readings organised by the Russian Academy of Sciences
- 1991- Present: Associate professor, Department of Russian history (PFUR). Main fields of research: Methodology of historical sciences; Computer science in historical research; History of utopian thought.
- 1992: PhD in History
- 1988: Master degree in History (Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia, PFUR) and 2 qualifications of professional interpreter (English, French)
- Reputation of the year - 2013 (so called “Russian financial Oscar”)
- “TOP-50 CIO” rating by Publishing House “Коммерсантъ”
- “TOP-100 most professional CIO in Russia” by Russian Managers Association