Chief Information Officer RCBF (Retail Banking, Corporate Banking & Functions)
On October 1st 2020 Dorothee Appel started in her new role as Chief Information Officer (CIO) for Retail Banking, Commercial Banking and Functions (RCBF) at ABN AMRO’s Innovation & Technology department. ABN AMRO has around 6 million customers ranging from households to the biggest corporations and institutions. She is a direct report of Christian Bornfeld, CI&TO of ABN AMRO and member of the Executive Board (ExBo). As of today a total of 2,960 IT employees and IT vendors and IT partners are working for RCBF.
ABN AMRO is one of Netherlands' leading banks with a strategy that goes far beyond purely financial value: Core focus of the vision of “Banking for better, for generations to come” is to be a personal bank in the digital age supporting both customers in their economic growth and in their shift to sustainability e.g. by financing initiatives that reduce global warming, increase circularity of consumption and have a positive social impact.
Dorothée transferred from her last position as CI/DO (Chief Information & Digital Officer) at Zurich Gruppe Deutschland. She brings with her nearly 30 years of experience in various IT functions at a variety of companies. In addition to Microsoft, AXA Assistance and BMW, she is also familiar with the Dutch banking world, having worked from 2016 for over 2.5 years at ING Bank N.V. as Chief Operating Officer (COO) IT. At ABN AMRO her focus is to further optimize the delivery of the agile organization to successfully execute on its digital growth and sustainability strategy.
- October 2020 – today: CIO Retail Banking, Corporate Banking & Functions (RCBF) ABN AMRO
- November 2018 – September 2020: CI/DO Zurich Gruppe Deutschland
- March 2016 – October 2018: COO IT (Chief Operating Officer IT) ING Bank N.V.
- February 2016: Working as delegate of the German Red Cross in the refugee camp
- November 2014 – January 2016: VP Information Management (FG-1, then FG-S) at BMW Group
- May 2011 – May 2014: Head of IT at Microsoft Germany
- July 2006 – April 2011: Various positions at AXA Assistance
- July 2010 – April 2011: Deputy Global CIO & Solutions Director of AXA Assistance
- September 2007 – June 2010: Regional CIO NCEE (North Central Eastern Europe) at AXA Assistance
- July 2006 – March 2009: IT Director Germany & Mauritius at AX Assistance
- April 2006 – June 2006: Senior Manager SITE (Strategic IT Effectiveness Practice) at Accenture
- April 2004 – March 2006: Senior Manager IT Strategy at Unilo Management
- January 1997 – March 2003: Various positions at Booz Allen Hamilton
- July 2002 – March 2003: European Marketing Manager Information
- Technology Group at Booz Allen Hamilton
- January 1997 – June 2002: Associate/Senior Associate Information Technology Group at Booz Allen Hamilton
- September 1992 – December 1996: Microsoft Germany
- July 1994 – December 1996: Consultant/Snr. Consultant at Microsoft Germany
- September 1992 – June 1993: Trainer Microsoft Institute at Microsoft
- 1995 – 1997: Wake Forest University School of Business, Executive MBA
- 1986 – 1991: Technical University Karlsruhe, Computer Science