Chief Information and Digital Officer
Since Nov 1st Dorothée Appel has been appointed as Chief Information and Digital Officer for Zurich Insurance Germany after being the Chief Operating Office (COO) IT for ING Bank N.V. from March 2016 until October 2018. Before ING, Dorothée worked as a delegate for the German Red Cross in the refugee camp (Warteraum) in Erding/Germany. Prior to that she worked at BMW as VP Information Management and at Microsoft as CIO Germany and Switzerland. At Zurich, Dorothée will lead the digital and IT agenda. Zurich follows a business strategy which aims at achieving long term success through digitized processes, innovative solutions and customer focused services.
For Zurich, IT is a means to sustainably satisfy and inspire customers and distribution partners through smart, simple and intuitive solutions. The strategy builds on the Zurich footprint, a solid financial position, a balanced portfolio, a trusted brand and the skills, strengths and expertise of the employees. „You need a place and a moment where you fill up your energies and the reservoir of good ideas. And that’s the place to be“, she said about her first attendance of CIOmove.
The Zurich Group Germany is part of the worldwide operating Zurich Insurance Group. Headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, the parent company is a multi-line insurer with a global network of subsidiaries and offices
in North America and Europe, as well as in the Asia-Pacific region, Latin America and other markets. Worldwide, Zurich helps consumers, small and medium-sized businesses, and global corporations understand and protect against risks. Hence, it offers numerous innovative insurance products, intelligent solutions and consulting services.
With a premium income (2017) of more than EUR 5.5 billion, investments of EUR 48 billion and about 4.900 employees, Zurich Group Germany is among the leading insurers in Germany with a wide range of property and
life insurance products. It offers innovative and first-class solutions for insurance, prevention, and risk management from a single source. Focus on individual customers and a high consulting standard are top priority. In 2018, 28 out of 30 DAX companies are insured with Zurich.
- March 2016 – present: COO of IT ING Bank N.V.
- February 2016: Working as delegate of the German Red Cross in the refugee camp
- November 2014 – January 2016: VP Information Management (FG-1, then FG-S) at BMW Group
- May 2011 – May 2014: Head of IT at Microsoft Germany
- July 2006 – April 2011: Various positions at AXA Assistance
- July 2010 – April 2011: Deputy Global CIO & Solutions Director of AXA Assistance
- September 2007 – June 2010: Regional CIO NCEE (North Central Eastern Europe) at AXA Assistance
- July 2006 – March 2009: IT Director Germany & Mauritius at AX Assistance
- April 2006 – June 2006: Senior Manager SITE (Strategic IT Effectiveness Practice) at Accenture
- April 2004 – March 2006: Senior Manager IT Strategy at Unilo Management
- January 1997 – March 2003: Various positions at Booz Allen Hamilton
- July 2002 – March 2003: European Marketing Manager Information Technology Group at Booz Allen Hamilton
- January 1997 – June 2002: Associate/Senior Associate Information Technology Group at Booz Allen Hamilton
- September 1992 – December 1996: Microsoft Germany
- July 1994 – December 1996: Consultant/Snr. Consultant at Microsoft Germany
- September 1992 – June 1993: Trainer Microsoft Institute at Microsoft
- 1995 – 1997: Wake Forest University School of Business, Executive MBA
- 1986 – 1991: Technical University Karlsruhe, Computer Science
no images were found" order_by="sortorder" order_direction="ASC" returns="included" maximum_entity_count="500"]