Dr Matthias Trabandt
Head Group IT
Matthias is an Executive with more than 25 years experience in IT and Operations. Joining one of the world’s largest Pharma companies after finishing his PhD studies concluding experimental work in Universities of Hamburg, Bloomington and Livermore he possesses vast experience in IT operations, leading change, restructuring, data center consolidation, building agile development across IT and business departments, cost reduction and leading organisations up to 500 people. For the past five years he has been COO of Swiss Life Germany, responsible for Swiss Life’s IT in Germany and for operating Swiss Life’s common service platform. With over 7,000 tied agents spread across four brands and processing contracts and policies from more than 150 insurance and financial service provides, this makes it one of the largest financial service platforms in Germany. Since recently (Jan 2019) he works as Head Group IT in the Swiss Life Headquarters in Zurich.
The Swiss Life Group is a leading provider of life and pensions and financial solutions in Europe. For over 160 years we have been helping private and corporate clients prepare their financial future. This is the origin of our mandate at Swiss Life: we enable people to lead a self-determined life.
Swiss Life provides individual pension and financial advice to help companies and private persons identify financial risks at an early stage and take corresponding measures. Thanks to long-term, sustainable investing, Swiss Life is able to enter into obligations and to make and keep guarantee promises over several decades. This allows us to help people in all walks of life look to the future with financial confidence.
As the Swiss Life Group we operate in Switzerland, Germany and France, and have competency centres in Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Singapore. The Swiss Life Select, Tecis, Horbach, Proventus, Fincentrum, and Chase de Vere advisors choose suitable market products for customers. Swiss Life Asset Managers offers institutional and private investors access to solutions for investment and asset management. Moreover, Swiss Life provides multinational corporations with employee benefits solutions and high net worth individuals with structured life and pensions products.
The subsidiaries Livit, Corpus Sireo, Mayfair Capital and Beos are also part of the Swiss Life Group. The Group employs a workforce of around 8300 and has a network of some 10 000 advisors.
- Jan 2019 – present: Head Group IT, Swiss Life AG, Zurich
- April 2014 – Dec 2018: COO & Member of the Executive Board of Swiss Life Deutschland Holding, Germany
- March 2011 – February 2014: Global Head of IT Integration for Alcon at Novartis
- January 2006 – February 2011: CIO of Novartis International
- December 2001 – December 2005: CIO of Novartis Pharma Germany
- Dec 1996 – Nov 2001: Various positions at Novartis Pharma AG, Basle
- Including: Global Head of e-Research, Global Head of Application Development in Research, Head of IT Medical Research London
- Nov 1989 – Dec 1996: various positions at Sandoz Pharma AG, Basle
- Including: AI Projects, Head DB Group, IT Head Preclinical research Basle, Global Head Biology Systems
- 1979 – 1989: Nuclear Physics at Hamburg University, Dr. rer. nat. (RNDr)
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab (LLNL), California: Research for Diploma Thesis
- Indiana University Cyclotron Facility (IUCF), Indiana: Research for Ph.D. thesis
- Trabandt übernimmt Group IT der Swiss Life
- Matthias Trabandt wird IT-Chef der Swiss Life
- Swiss Life Group bekommt neuen Head of IT
- Swiss Life kriegt den ersten richtigen Head of Group IT
- Change Braucht Geduld (CIO 05/06 2017, PDF)
- IT-Projekte: auswählen antreiben, abschliessen, (CIO-Magazin, April 2006, PDF)