Michael Loechle has been since July 2020 CIO at Hitachi Energy, the energy technology arm of the Hitachi Group. After the successful carve-out from ABB and the approaching expiration of the transactional service agreements, Loechle's current focus is on finishing the build-up of a completely self-contained IT as an independent unit within the global Hitachi Group. This transformation includes a large outsourcing deal with HCL on the infrastructure; the implementation of HANA S/4 and Workday; as well as significant investments in cybersecurity and IT/OT.
Hitachi Energy's mission is to advance the world's energy system to be more sustainable, flexible and secure. The company's history dates back to the late 19th century, when electrical engineering companies ASEA and Brown Boveri & Cie were formed during Europe’s industrial revolution. After introducing electrical power transmission, rail and industrial technologies, the two brands merged in 1988 to create ABB. In 2020, Hitachi completed the acquisition of ABB's Power Grids business.
Loechle's headshot courtesy of Hitachi Energy.
- Jul 2020 - present: CIO, Hitachi Energy, Switzerland
- Oct 2022 - present: Advisory Board Member, OptimEyes AI, US (part-time)
- Jul 2012 - present: Board Member, Arcondis Group, Switzerland (part-time)
- 2019 - 2020: CIO, ABB Power Grids, Switzerland
- Mar - Dec 2018: Group CIO, ABB, Switzerland
- 2016 - 2018: Group Vice President IT, ABB, Switzerland
- 2015 - 2016: IT Integration Lead, GE, Switzerland
- 2009 - 2015: CIO, Alstom Power, Switzerland
- 2008 - 2009: Head of Group Services, Ciba, Switzerland
- 2005 - 2008: CIO, Ciba, Switzerland
- 2002 - 2004: Head of Internal Audit, Ciba, Switzerland
- Jan - Dec 2001: Chief Auditor Pharma Division, Roche, Switzerland
- 1999 - 2000: Chief Auditor Diagnostics Division, Roche, Switzerland
- 1997 - 1999: SAP Project Manager Latin America & Iberia, Roche, Switzerland and Argentina
- 1995 - 1997: IT Audit Manager, Roche, Switzerland
- 1991 - 1995: Head Information Management, Unilever, Switzerland
- 1989 - 1995: Adjunct Professor for Computer Studies, University of Public Law, Germany (part-time)
- 1987 - 1991: Deputy Head of IT, District Administration Constance, Germany
Loechle has a business administration and legal background with an MBA from Stanford University and a master’s degree in international business law (MBL) from the University of St Gallen. He went through management training at the London Business School, Ashridge Business School, INSEAD and IMD. Loechle also holds audit-specific certifications, including CIA, CISA, CISM, CGEIT and CRISC.
10?! Michael Loechle, CIO Hitachi Energy Inside IT
HCL to Build a New Greenfield Digital Foundation for Hitachi ABB Power Grids Energy Industry Review
Ex-Alstom CIO Loechle geht zu ABB Inside IT
Neuer Verwaltungsrat für Arcondis IT-Markt
- Top CIO Switzerland 2014