Carsten Bernhard is a German CIO and CTO living in Spain. He's got a proven track record of delivering tangible business results in both large scale enterprises as well as pure digital players. Bernhard is focused on maximising business value delivery through a combination of technology, architecture, processes and organisation.
Since 2016, Bernhard has been Group CTO at eDreams ODIGEO, where he is responsible for all the technology aspects of the largest digital travel agency in flights. He grew the organisation by the factor of 2.5x while establishing a full transformation of both the business (from transactional to relationship) as well as technology (from on-prem monolith to fully agile, microservices driven cloud platform).
Before eDreams ODIGEO, Bernhard was CIO of TUI Germany, where he established shared digital services for the TUI group by opening the first joint app development centre - the first group wide web center of excellence and venturing into joint CRM systems. As CTO of AutoScout24, he led through hyper-growth phases and established an agile product development organisation.
- September 2016 – present: Group CTO, eDreams ODIGEO, Spain
- July 2013 – September 2016: CIO Germany Austria, Switzerland, Poland, TUI Deutschland
- March 2006 – June 2013: CTO, AutoScout24, Germany
- October 2003 – March 2006: Manager Investment Banking IT Operations, HVB Info
- March 2002 – March 2003: Assistant to the CTO, HVB Info, Germany
- October 2000 – March 2002: Senior Software Engineer, Fast-Track Systems, US
- August 1996 – September 2000: Team Leader New Technologies, Commerzbank FX Trading, Germany
- 1996 – 2000: Team Lead FX Software Development, Commerz Financial Products, Germany
- 1993 – 1997: Diploma in Business Administration, EBS Universität für Wirtschaft und Recht, Germany
- 1993 – 1997: Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, James Madison University, US
C’è un nuovo Tech Hub eDreams ODIGEO e Milano TechBusiness
Il tech che assume (in Italia): eDreams ODIGEO apre a Milano Fortune Italia
- Top 10 CIO of the Year 2020, Medium-sized business category
- Positioned AutoScout24 as 'Top Workplace in IT' in Germany, 2013
- Second place at the European CIO of the Year awards 2012, CIONET / INSEAD
- 2011 CIO of the Year, Computerwoche & CIO
- Establishing new development centers in Southern Europe, adopted for the new post-covid work realities. Scaling the organisation by a factor of 2.5x while preserving the culture and lean thinking.
- Powering the entry into adjacent business areas for the company (hotel bookings).
- Managing productivity and effectiveness of a large agile development workforce (600+ engineers).