Dr Catherine Boivie
Strategic Technology Leadership Corporation
Managing Director, Principal
Dr Catherine Boivie is a seasoned Executive with more than 20 years of experience in the advancement and management of information technology, including as CEO of Inventure Solutions (a Vancity subsidiary) and Senior Vice President of Information Technology and Facility Management for the Vancity group of companies, Canada’s largest credit union.
Possess strong leadership, financial management, strategic planning, and communication skills as well as a high degree of experience and personal comfort representing organizations at the executive level within industry and government (Provincial, Federal and Municipal).
Secured funding for a $65M banking systems replacement program by demonstrating to the Board the necessity of the replacement in business terms and showing customer benefits and ease of use for employees. The project was unanimously approved by the Board who provided support and guidance throughout the program.
Currently serving on several boards, including those of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC), where she chairs the Transformation Committee that oversees the alignment of the strategic intent of the $400 Million program with ICBC’s long term strategy; Chair of the Board of the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services (CCTS); immediate past Chair of the Burnaby Board of Trade and was Founding President of the Chief Information Officers Association of Canada (CIOCAN). Possess a strong understanding of Board Governance and Oversight.
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC)
ICBC provides basic and optional vehicle insurance, driver licensing, vehicle registration and other services. ICBC is currently one of British Columbia's largest corporations.
- April 2012 – present: Executive in Residence at Beedie School of Business at SFU
- June 2012 – December 2014: CEO and Chair Canadian Women in Technology (CanWIT)
- June 2008 – April 2012: CEO, Inventure Solutions and SVP of Information Technology and Facility Management of Vancity
- 2003 – 2008: SVP IT of Pacific Blue Cross
- Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD), ICD.D
- University of Toronto, PhD Expert systems
- University of Toronto, MEd, Masters of Education, Computer Assisted Instructions
- University of Waterloo, BMath, Computer Science
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal: The award recognizes the impact Dr. Boivie made on society and business from the application of technology as well as for her work in the community.
- University of Waterloo, Faculty of Mathematics Alumni Achievement Medal: The award acknowledges the outstanding accomplishments and achievements of alumni of the Faculty to their communities and professions.
- Canada’s Top 100 Most Powerful Women by the Women’s Executive Network: Award in the “Trailblazers and Trendsetters” category, which recognizes women who are either the first in their fields or have made a major impact on them, and who have made a great contribution to Canadian society.
- Chief Information Officers Association of Canada (CIOCAN): Established the Catherine Aczel Boivie scholarship at Ryerson University, recognizing contributions to strengthen the CIO community in Canada and advocating the CIOs’ role in organizations. The Dr Catherine Aczel Boivie Scholarship is awarded each year to the top student at Ryerson University IT Management Program.
- Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance - Chief Information Officers (CIO) Leadership Award: Showing excellence in managing enterprise-wide information systems that yield the greatest returns to the organization and exemplifying community engagement and leadership
- Gartner Inc. North American IT Executive of the Year Award: Received the award for Midsize Enterprises for her contributions to the overall development and success in the technology field and advocating the need for networking among IT professionals.