Head of Business Technology of Munich Re,
Olaf is heading Munich Re’s Business Technology unit. His global team drives Munich Re’s innovation initiatives as well as general digital transformation from a technology perspective.
Business Technology comprises a wide array of technologies like Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, Data & Analytics, Business Ecosystem Technologies, and Distributed Legder Technologies. Furthermore, end-to-end support for innovative initiatives from idea to cash is provided including digital design and coaching throughout the stage gate process.
Olaf is an experienced leader in the field of corporate IT. His focus has been with the insurance and reinsurance industry. He has a strong background in transforming IT organizations and processes in an international context. In the past, Olaf has helped in transforming Munich Re’s IT organization into a multisourcing setup and is an expert in transitioning IT organizations to agile methodologies in combination with outsourcing/offshoring of IT delivery.
|Munich Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, primary insurance and insurance-related risk solutions. The group consists of the reinsurance and ERGO business segments, as well as the asset management company MEAG. Munich Re is globally active and operates in all lines of the insurance business. Since it was founded in 1880, Munich Re has been known for its unrivalled risk-related expertise and its sound financial position. It offers customers financial protection when faced with exceptional levels of damage – from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake through to the 2019 Pacific typhoon season. Munich Re possesses outstanding innovative strength, which enables it to also provide coverage for extraordinary risks such as rocket launches, renewable energies or cyberattacks. The company is playing a key role in driving forward the digital transformation of the insurance industry, and in doing so has further expanded its ability to assess risks and the range of services that it offers. Its tailor-made solutions and close proximity to its customers make Munich Re one of the world’s most sought-after risk partners for businesses, institutions, and private individuals.
- March 2018 - present: Head of Business Technology at Munich Re and Application Development for the global IT organization
- January 2012 – February 2018: Head of Global Applications at Munich Re
- April 2016 – March 2017: CIO (interim) of Munich Re
- 2009 – present: Head of department at Munich Re
- 2002 – 2011: Various positions at Munich Re
- 1999 – 2002: Project Manager at COR&FJA AG
- 1994 – 1999: The University of Freiburg, Theoretical and Mathematical Physics, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- 1994: Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg, Physics
- 1991 – 1992: University of Calgary, Visiting Student, Theoretical and Mathematical Physics
- Gipfelgespräch: Was SAP und Munich RE sich zu sagen haben (Computerwoche, 09/04/17)