Dr Olaf Frank
Head of Business Technology
Olaf is heading Munich Re’s Business Technology unit. His global team drives Munich Re’s innovation initiatives as well as general digital transformation from a technology perspective.
Business Technology comprises a wide array of technologies like Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, Data & Analytics, Business Ecosystem Technologies, and Distributed Legder Technologies. Furthermore, end-to-end support for innovative initiatives from idea to cash is provided including digital design and coaching throughout the stage gate process.
Olaf is an experienced leader in the field of corporate IT. His focus has been with the insurance and reinsurance industry. He has a strong background in transforming IT organizations and processes in an international context. In the past, Olaf has helped in transforming Munich Re’s IT organization into a multisourcing setup and is an expert in transitioning IT organizations to agile methodologies in combination with outsourcing/offshoring of IT delivery.
is one of the world’s leading risk carriers and stands for exceptional solution-based expertise, consistent risk management, financial stability and client proximity. The Group operates in all lines of insurance, with around 45,000 employees throughout the world and combines primary insurance and reinsurance under one roof.
Besides our capital base, the foundation of our success is knowledge and competence – qualities that benefit clients and staff alike. As a world-class reinsurer, we invest a great deal in maintaining our knowledge lead and foster the innovative strength and expertise of our more than 11,000 employees in reinsurance. We motivate by offering a wide variety of responsible tasks with clear objectives, and cultivate a team spirit. Our corporate culture is defined by performance, mutual respect and trust. All this makes us an attractive employer providing global career development opportunities and prospects.
- March 2018 - present: Head of Business Technology at Munich Re
- January 2012 – February 2018: Head of Global Applications at Munich Re
- April 2016 – March 2017: CIO (interim) of Munich Re
- 2009 – present: Head of department at Munich Re
- 2002 – 2011: Various positions at Munich Re
- 1999 – 2002: Project Manager at COR&FJA AG
- 1994 – 1999: The University of Freiburg, Theoretical and Mathematical Physics, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- 1994: Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg, Physics
- 1991 – 1992: University of Calgary, Visiting Student, Theoretical and Mathematical Physics
- Gipfelgespräch: Was SAP und Munich RE sich zu sagen haben (Computerwoche, 09/04/17)